A collaboration between two brands from completely different sectors of the beauty world is always super exciting but I think the collaboration between Ouai and Byredo is one of the most underrated collaborations of the year.
Ouai is the brain child of Jen Atkin who is a hair stylist to the starts and went on to start Ouai, an incredibly popular hair care brand. Byredo is a luxury fragrance brand that I would love to be able to treat myself to but I simply do not have that sort of money. Byredo is not a cheap brand but they create some incredible scents. A 50ml bottle is £115 which is rather a lot. The coming together of these brands truly excited me and I wanted to get my hands on a bottle of the new dry shampoo. After a trip into town, I managed to give the dry shampoo a smell and I bought it instantly.
My Hair
Before we get too far into this review, I thought I would give you an overall idea of what my hair is like because we all have different hair types and products are going to work differently for everyone. My hair has always been frizzy, coarse and does not naturally look smooth, this is because I am a natural redhead. Apparently the structure of ginger hair is slightly different so for the most part, without product, red hair does not naturally shine. This wouldn't be too bad if I could use oil on my hair but my hair is very fine and I don't have much of it so if I use a product that is too heavy, it weighs it down. Essentially my hair is a bit of nightmare.
To avoid frizziness, I straighten my hair a lot as that is the only way that I have found to tame it. Everyone knows applying heat to your hair means instant damage so my hair is pretty dry. Not only that but I have my hair coloured, I have highlights put in which requires bleach. Basically my hair is fucked.
To try and balance all of this I use hair masks, I use oil sprays after I have washed it and I do not wash it very often. I hate washing my hair so I try to only do it once a week which is apparently good for your hair. Basically you do not create as many oils so your hair doesn't get as greasy. In my experience this is true but it does mean by the end of the week it looks pretty gross and I do have to give it a double wash. In addition towards the end of the week I will use dry shampoo just to deal with the grease, add volume and also to make my hair smell a bit better. Anyone who has left their hair for a couple of days before washing it will know the gross scent that I am referring to.
Normally to balance the scent I will also use a hair perfume but cheap, nice hair perfumes that work are hard to come by. Also quite often they add shine which is not something I want when my hair is already greasy so typically I will use these earlier in the week. I have never seen a dry shampoo that focuses as much on removing the oils as it does the fragrance which was why I was so interested in this collab.
Dry Shampoo
I am not one to buy expensive hair care products, I simply do not know enough about the ingredients to know whether a product will be beneficial to my hair or not. The only other luxury dry shampoo I have tried is the
Pret a Powder from Bumble and Bumble and I can safely say I was less than impressed. In fact it is a product that I would not recommend to anyone! Ever since I have been put off buying another expensive dry shampoo as it was such a waste of money. Instead I have been loyal to my beloved
Cherry Batiste which you will know if you have read my Empties posts that I post at the end of every month.
The Ouai Dry Shampoo is a Super Dry Shampoo, I had no idea what that meant prior to trying it; did it mean that it was a superior dry shampoo or was it just what Ouai called it? Well turns out it was the prior statement, this is a supercharged Dry Shampoo. It seems odd to say but this is a DRY shampoo. Instantly it takes away the oils and adds volume. I had slightly greasy hair when I went into the Space NK store and this dry shampoo sorted it quickly with only a tiny spray. I have a feeling that this is going to be amazing for when my hair is truly on the struggle bus, which is all too often.
The effects of using this dry shampoo are long lasting and it stops your hair from looking greasy all day which is something I have had an issue with previously when it has come to dry shampoos. This is the exact reason I did not like the Bumble and Bumble dry shampoo, it made my hair look good for an hour and then the grease began to come through whilst Ouai dry shampoo has none of that!
I have very little criticism of this dry shampoo but one thing I will say is that I don't know how people with dark hair will get on with it as this is quite a powdery dry shampoo and it does leave a bit of a white cast on your hair. This doesn't really matter for me and my highlighted hair but if you have dark hair, I don't know how well you are going to be able to rub this in.
Perfume
The scent of the dry shampoo is the part that Byredo has contributed to the product and it is the scent of one of their classic perfumes, Mojave Ghost. The scent is very gender neutral as it is quite woody, it isn't the usual scent I would opt for but I love this for my hair. This would be a great dry shampoo for a man who likes to take care of himself.
The scent is made up of something called a Ghost Flower, I am not familiar with this but I'm guessing it is quite rare and that is why the fragrance is so expensive. I cannot tell you what a Ghost Flower smells like but I can tell you it is not a strong traditional floral. The flower is supported by notes of Violet, Amber, Musk and Sandalwood. You know when a scent smells expensive, this scent smells expensive. One thing I didn't realise is that you can buy a hair perfume from Byredo which is a casual £52 whereas this bottle of dry shampoo is £20 and it has two functions, it is a hair perfume and a dry shampoo.
With some of the hair perfumes I have tried, the scent doesn't last that long and the scent of this dry shampoo lasts for days. Honestly I've never tried a product quite like this one as the scent lingers for so long and the dry shampoo actually works. This could actually be used as an alternative for a perfume, it is that strong.
With the two products coming together, it is truly the meeting of two incredible brands to make one even better product. Separately these two products are good but together they are better, sort of like the Avengers of the beauty world. So often collaborations between brands do not work out, I mean do you remember the Too Faced x Kat Von D collaborations, they weren't good. Whereas this product is amazing, probably because they haven't created a completely new product, it is the combo of two already loved products.
If you like the original Ouai Dry Shampoo, this is definitely worth the try. The original is £20 and this collaboration version is also £20 for the same size bottle, it is rare that a product price isn't increased when another brand's name is attached but they didn't go that way with this product and I appreciate it.
Even though this is an expensive product, it is also a two in one product and it actually works which is the main thing. I don't mind spending a little bit more on a product if I know it works and this certainly does. When I bought this bottle I thought I would just enjoy it and go back to Batiste but having used half the bottle I am hooked. All I can pray is that this isn't a limited edition or I am going to have stock up whilst this is around. If you happen across this product in a Space NK, you need to try it!
You might also like:
0 Yorumlar